top of page


Tru's VBAC Waterbirth Story

Von was a client with a previous cesarean delivery desiring a VBAC birth.  As her pregnancy progressed close to two weeks past her due date (typical for VBAC's), she went for a Biophysical Profile ultrasound (BPP) and received a perfect score.  Both baby and placenta were healthy and doing well.  So she continued to wait for her body to go into labor on it's own...


The Loving Birth of our Son ~ "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."  Proverbs 13:12

I woke up early on a sunny Wednesday morning, September 18, 2013.  I was 42 weeks 1 day pregnant.  I noticed I was having some contractions with my legs hurting and I could not lay still.  So I got up did the dishes and some laundry then tried to lie back down.  I dozed off an on next to my daughter, Zai, and when I fully woke up late morning, like 10:30, I was having consistent contractions but didn't start timing them because I’d been having similar warm up activity for the past few days. 

Around 11 I started having contractions three minutes apart but not super strong, I got excited.  I talked to my midwife (Faith) and she said to let her know when they get more intense.  By about 1:30pm I was still having them 3 to 5 min apart.  At that point I called my husband, Zoe, to come home, and in-laws, Kim and Randy, to prepare to come get Zai (they had to travel about an hour and a half).

Faith came by and listened to the baby, watched me have a few contractions, and applied some oils to my belly.  All was well and she left with instructions to call her when I felt like I needed her.  Kim, Randy and Jace came and got Zai.


I ended up being in early labor, having short contractions 3 min apart for 14 hours.

My Mom and Glen came and brought us dinner.  Zoe and I were just hanging out.  I was mostly sitting on my birth ball or standing.  Then I tried lying on some pillows on my bed while over the ball and Zoe played his video game. Contractions started getting a lot stronger but still the same 3 to 5 min apart.

Around 11pm I had Faith come back.  She checked the heart rate of the baby - it was perfect - and then asked if I wanted her to check me.  I said yes because after all day of this I was wondering if I had dilated.  I was at 2 cm and effaced some but I don't remember how much - maybe 30%.  


Faith started bringing supplies in and setting up.  Zoe, Faith and I were hanging out in the living room and tried to watch a movie, Days of Thunder, but needless to say it got turned off quickly.  I started having even stronger contractions that pretty much peaked then rolled right into the next one.  I paced, I swayed, I leaned on Zoe, I laid on Zoe’s lap.

I was in active labor for another couple of hours with my contractions coming one right after the other.  Faith helped keep me focused on breathing.


While I laid my head in Zoe’s lap while he was sitting on the couch, my water broke at 3am which for a moment felt like a big relief, but soon after the contractions became sharper and of course things got even stronger.  I changed my clothes and went to the bathroom. 

The time after this was kind of a blur, I remember the assistant Rebecca came, and I had Zoe take a candle outside and blow it out as I was even more sensitive to smells than normal.


The birth pool got set up and filled with water. At like 5am I got in a birth pool, and it was very

calming.  I labored lying over the side if the birth pool for about an hour, the whole time I was holding Zoe’s hand and at times Faith's hand. It was very comforting having someone hold on to me while I focused on staying relaxed and breathing through the contractions.  In that hour I was feeling a little weak and Zoe made me a protein shake, and during the time he was making it, I really missed him, especially during the peak of a contractions.

I asked if this was transition, Faith said maybe but we wouldn't know for sure unless she checked me.  My contractions were super intense and I wouldn't let Zoe let go of my hand, he was so good!  Then Faith checked me and I was 7cm. 

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13

Then at about 6am, my body literally started pushing - seriously I could not control it, totally unreal - I mean I knew it could be like that but didn't know it would be!


Faith (and by this time my other midwife, Brandi, was also there) were a little shocked and Faith insisted she check me before I pushed (even though it was uncontrolable), and she said, yes, your cervix is completely gone. 

I only pushed for about 20 min!!!

Then I had my squishy baby in my arms!  Well, after he was untangled from his cord.


I was holding him and smelling his precious head, and my hand was between his legs and I was like, I'm pretty sure he's a boy!!


Zoe cried and kissed him.  It was amazing!  Then I got out of the pool and birthed the placenta within three minutes.

It was a peaceful experience.  I felt vulnerable but confident, weak but strong.  I never once lost control of myself.  It was an amazing experience. 

Tru Nathan Hocker was born September 19, 2013 at 6:22am at 42 weeks and 2 days weighing 8lbs 11oz and 21.5 inches long.

"Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from him."  Psalm 127:3

bottom of page